[Dxspider-support] Expanding USB Hard Drive

James Snider jim at lexiann.com
Mon Jun 14 21:53:44 CEST 2021

Well, I’m finally off our outages at our power plant so I started looking into the disk space running out issue again.

I thought it was that my system was on a 8 gb SD card with a 1Tb USB drive.  So I thought the problem was the 8Gb SD card not being big enough.  I tried to change it out to a 64Gb card but raps-config wouldn’t expand it.

Well I think I may have solved the mystery.  Dirk helped me last year with some issues and that’s when we put the 1Tb drive on my system.  The main partition of the 1TB turns out to be only 8GB, so that’s why raps-config wouldn’t expand it.  Here’s a shot of my disks using lsblk

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sda1        8:1    0     8G  0 part /
└─sda2        8:2    0 923.5G  0 part
mmcblk0     179:0    0  29.7G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0    44M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0  29.7G  0 part /media/pi/_dev_sda2
pi at raspberrypi:~ $

So it looks like I need to somehow expand sda1.  Is there a way to do that from the terminal session?

Jim W8BS

James Snider
jim at lexiann.com