[Dxspider-support] Tons of russian spots

jarmo oh1mrr at nic.fi
Wed Aug 31 11:25:08 BST 2022

Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:01:09 +0100
Dirk Koopman via Dxspider-support <dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk>
kirjoitti:

> So: here we go...
>
> DXSpider was written because, in the 1990s (yes, it's been going that
> long), there was a situation where anybody could disconnect someone
> on another node, at any time. And there was a (sub) command to do
> that disconnection "silently", i.e. just as though the connection
> dropped. A sysop could read another node's logs to see what someone
> "was up to" and also interfere generally with that node as though he
> (and all sysops were male) was in control.
>
> I make no apology for making that sort of thing difficult -> nearly
> impossible. But I am open to adding code to allow something more
> nuanced in the way of remote control. But I am constantly aware that
> this could and, sadly, might well be abused.
>
> My UK 2p worth
>
> Dirk G1TLH

What ever remote commands are added, do not close out lazy sysops,
who has very much intress to put system up, but maintenance left after
that.
As I started with dxclusters, was also behinning 90's. Seen, that system
housekeeping is most difficult thing for overall.
What I think, first step is, that all nodes should force registration,
if want to make spot... That does not close out abuse, but surely makes
these fakes think twice.
I haven't set registration yet, have had trust for users, but also been
awake the first abuse, then force registration.
This morning on 20m robot was sending spots tons of them and noticed
that DH1TW was node, where them came to network. Spotter changed IP, so
maybe was using TOR to cover tracks.
Propably registration could have stopped at the beginning?
So, before any remote commands, we sysops could do more avoid these kind
of abuses.
Before internet, when only RADIOs handled cluster networks, was not so
many robot spots.. :)

jarmo, oh1mrr