[Dxspider-support] New build, things not working from within crontab

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Mon Dec 5 19:44:14 GMT 2022

Right, I’ve spent two days with this and I’m now pulling out what little hair I have left.

I’ve built a new cluster and I’m trying to get (to start with), my FCC database updated via crontab.

I’ve added sysop into the SUDO group.

I’m running a Raspberry Pi with DXSpider v1.57 (build 451).

I’m logged onto the Pi as sysop, then I’ve done a sudo su because otherwise I can’t write to /spider/local_cmd

My crontab file is thus:

# Check every 10 minutes to see if xxxx is connected and if not
# start a connect job
0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * start_connect('pi4cc') unless connected('pi4cc')

# Monday 01:00 - Get latest FCC data (W1NR updates Sundays)
16 16 * * 1 spawn("cd /tmp && wget -qN ftp://ftp.w1nr.net/usdbraw.gz && /spider/perl/create_usdb.pl usdbraw.gz")
20 16 * * 1 run_cmd("load/usdb")
25 16 * * 1 spawn("rm /tmp/usdbraw.gz")

The connect lines are fine, that works perfectly.

The first line of getting the FCC data partly works.  cd /tmp works and so does the wget command.  However, the final part doesn’t work.  It never creates /spider/local_data/usdb.v1
The third line works, it deletes the downloaded file.

However, if I run cd /tmp && wget -qN ftp://ftp.w1nr.net/usdbraw.gz && /spider/perl/create_usdb.pl usdbraw.gz from the prompt, it works (although the file it creates has the wrong owner).

To me, this looks like a permissions/ownership thing but I’ve tried so many things today and yesterday that I’ve kinda lost the will to live.

These are the permissions on my crontab file in /spider/local_cmd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root spider 2020 Dec  5 12:16 crontab

I also have stuff in crontab to update keps and cty.dat which don’t work either but I reckon that if I can get this one working, the others will work as well.

I’m quite sure this is going to be something simple but I’ve stared at it for so long now that I need to refer to Dirk’s list of pre-reqs for the mojo upgrade, ie a supply of good, strong tea - preferably in pint mugs. A tin hat, stout boots, a rucksack with survival rations and a decent miners' lamp might also prove comforting.

Please, can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

73 Keith G6NHU