[Dxspider-support] VarAC Beacon spots

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 20:37:03 GMT 2022

VARA? Ah, not the "Vereeniging van Arbeiders Radio Amateurs" then, that
became a progressive Dutch "omroep" in the Dutch TV/Radio system. They
produced some pretty good TV programs too.

But I see it is a development by the ROSMODEM chap. When that first
appeared it caused quite a few problems on the network as it was using a
lot of cluster node bandwidth. But it all settled down reasonably well.
That system used the chat facility in DXSpider, and I would expect the
new system to do the same for its beaconing, rather than using spots. DX
Spots are NOT the place for mode specific *automatic* beaconing, signal
reports that are specific to the operation of VARA.

As the author is, I believe, Spanish I wonder whether one of our Spanish
users could have a word with him(?) and remind him that 'chat' is the
way to go.

Thanks

73 Dirk G1TLH