[Dxspider-support] Script to update DXSpider

Danilo Brelih danilo.brelih at siol.net
Thu Dec 15 05:38:52 GMT 2022

Hi

thanks for this Kin.
I have forwarded your message to the admins of all my partner nodes that use outdated dxspider versions. Perhaps an invitation to become an associate member of this mailing list for further support could be added to the instructions.

Peaceful holiday season to all,

Dan S50U sys S50CLX

Hi all,
Although I know that it is not difficult to update or upgrade DXSpider, and
thinking of those sysops that do not dare to update in case they have
problems and their node is out of service, I decided to write a script to
automate the update.

This script is written in Bash and is based on Yiannis SV5FRI's idea and
code in his install script for the Mojo version.

The script, before updating, will make a backup copy of the spider
installation that is running at that moment, in case problems arise and you
want to go back to the initial version.

Then it will perform an update or upgrade, depending on whether the node is
in Master or Mojo version, leaving the installation in the latest build of
the Mojo branch.

The configuration and database files are maintained, although it will be
requested to re-enter the basic data of the node: callsign, sysop, qth, ...
There is also the possibility to start a new database.

I've done a lot of tests, not all possible because I don't have a wide
variety of versions/installations, because the request I made to the sysop
community was devastating, no sysop sent anything. For this reason, I cannot
guarantee the success of all the updates, but since we have the possibility
of restoring the backup, there should not be any problem.

If any of you get to try it, I would appreciate your comments, as well as
information regarding the initial version, its OS, ... for monitoring and
improvement.

You can download it like this:

wget https://github.com/glaukos78/dxspider_installation_v2/archive/refs/heads/dev el.zip -O dxspider_update.zip

I hope it can help encourage the sysops community to keep the Net updated.

I want to thank Yiannis, SV5FRI for his collaboration.

Enjoy.

Kin EA3CV <mailto: ea3cv at cronux.net >