[Dxspider-support] Alternative/additional comment elements in spots

Björn Ekelund bjorn at ekelund.nu
Fri Jan 14 17:38:52 GMT 2022

Thanks Dirk,

First of all, let me apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I was not
aware of the existence of a tech reflector.

Thank you for an extensive and well argued response. I also respect and
appreciate the integrity you express.

All points well taken and I am the first to agree that the "distance"
metric used by Jose's algorithm is essentially wrong (just as
the check partial algorithm in most loggers) in that it does not measure
the true Levenshtein distance (yes, I am also a scientist)
between the characters.

The popularity of the CT1BOH method comes mainly from the fact that spots
are never suppressed and it is left to the human being
(not the software!) to judge the questionable spots in a contest situation.
The reason for this is that during major contests,
rare stations with small antennas in areas with poor skimmer coverage may
very well be caught by just a single skimmer. Since scoring
in contests typically is multiplicative, that rare station could be
hundreds of times more valuable than the station next door.

Such rare stations spotted by a single skimmer are not forwarded by a
DXSpider with default settings and most likely also not by
CC cluster node but they are forwarded by an ARC6 node. It is as simple as
that.

I am on the development team of http://www.dxlog.net/ which is the second
or third largest contest logger (depending on how you count)
behind N1MM and there is nothing holy about the current implementation or
code. We would happily modify its spot processing to fit
anything helpful developed in DXSpider. Already today DXLog interprets some
unique characteristics of DXSpider spots such as
the Q:# comment elements and the RTT mode acronym.

I fully agree on resource needs. I run three nodes in my server closet. The
CC Cluster and AR Cluster nodes share a reasonably
powerful Windows machine. The DXSpider node runs in a microscopic Ubuntu
container on my Linux server.

If DXSpider was not my absolute preference, I would have never made this
post.

So, in summary, I am a log program author and I am willing to engage
constructively.

Having set up my DXSpider node only weeks ago, I am still learning. Where
can I best learn about the options for
machine readable outputs? And where do I sign up to the technology
reflector?

Björn SM7IUN