[Dxspider-support] Number of hops on a node

Joaquin . joaquin at cronux.net
Fri Jan 28 15:51:07 GMT 2022

I understand what you are saying Lee, but maybe it is time to bring the
protocol into line with the present and with a view to the future. It has
been a long time since the first AK1A format packet was sent. You have had
to implement new PCs to avoid the inconsistency problems with which AK1A
was created.
The current works, but improving it from scratch, not inheriting problems,
can make the current network nodes more effective and efficient. A new
exclusive interface can be created for the interconnection of nodes and web
applications, logger, ...

You may think that third-party software is one of the stumbling blocks to
dealing with change, but perhaps it is time to stop using those old
developments that are no longer maintained and replace them with others
that are appropriate for the present. As much as I like a program that only
runs on MSDOS or Win95, I don't think I should sacrifice too much of my
machine by maintaining obsolescence. There are plenty of developers in the
community who would surely create new tools as useful or more useful than
the old ones.
I don't see the teams at N1MM, DXLab, Logger32, ... (to mention a few) not
updating their software and being cut off from the world wide web.

As you said, you and Dirk carry the weight of the DXCluster development
nowadays. You both have a lot of experience and I'm sure you could open a
dialogue forum in order to look for a new protocol (say i.e. v2) that could
coexist with the current one but giving it an expiry date, so that the old
programs could be migrated to the new developments.

I know it's a big job, but you guys have shown that you are up to it, and I
don't think you wouldn't like a challenge like this ;-)

We'll keep talking...

Kin
EA3CV