[Dxspider-support] F1HMR, IP address 88.178.71.87

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 11:49:06 BST 2023

Patrice:

Late in the evening of Saturday 22nd April I became aware that there were multiple repeated
connection attempts from a station with your callsign of F1HMR at IP address 88.178.71.87
to my GB7DXC-5 DXCluster node.

The sysop console on the node showed that there was a connection attempt every 2
seconds, and that each connection attempt was rejected by GB7DXC-5 because you were
already logged in to three other DXCluster nodes (DB0SUE-7, F6GCP-3 and PA4JJ-2).

Because of this abuse of the DXCluster I have now explicitly locked you out of the
GB7DXC-5 node, so you will never be able to connect to it, and I have added the IP address
shown for your connection attempts to the list of 'bad' IP addresses that is propagated across
the worldwide DXCluster network.

Although there seemed to be a cessation of the connection attempts for a while on Sunday
23rd April, this morning I can see on the sysop console for the GB7DXC-5 node that your
station still appears to be making repeated multiple attempts to connect to the node, with the
frequency of the connection attempts now being up to ten per second.  Each and every
connection attempt is being rejected because you are locked out of the node and your IP
address is blocked but nevertheless your behaviour constitutes very serious misuse of the
DXCluster and my GB7DXC-5 node in particular.  The ongoing repeated multiple connection
attempts in effect constitute a Denial of Service (DoS) attack on my GB7DXC-5 node and if
they continue I will not hesitate to report you to the relevant Internet authorities in France and
elsewhere if necessary.

Please ensure that you configure your station so that it no longer makes these repeated
multiple connection attempts to the GB7DXC-5 DXCluster node.

If you are confident that the attempts to connect to the GB7DXC-5 node are not coming from
your station then I would suggest that you have an issue with your callsign being pirated by
whoever owns the IP address 88.178.71.87 and that you will need to investigate this with your
Internet service provider and perhaps also the French authorities responsible for amateur
licensing.

--
Martin Davies G0HDB, sysop of the GB7DXC-5 DXCluster node