[Dxspider-support] Some network data

Kin ea3cv at cronux.net
Tue Feb 21 10:36:00 GMT 2023

Hi Howard,

No, I don't have a lot of time, but when I do a job I am 100% committed, one flaw as another hihihi.
At no time was my intention *got dinged* for not being up to date, I didn't even think of such a thing, I'm peaceful.

I who have a node with between 10/20 users also value the availability of the service, as my goal is 24x7x365, and I think I achieve it.
When I do an update, my users lose service for about 3 seconds, which is how long it takes for my node to go from down to up. And if the new build fails, in 5 more seconds they are all working with the previous one, in the worst case I could say it's 10 seconds of disconnection. I don't think my users will ever appreciate this outage.
As I also manage the EA4URE cluster, where there are a lot more users, I can say that *NEVER* the traffic is interrupted by spider updates, why? because EA4URE is in high availability, which allows to have several nodes in load sharing, being able to update one of them without affecting beyond an immediate disconnection/connection of users.

As a system administrator for a long time, I have to admit Howard that updates are always worrying, but waiting for others to do the testing does not guarantee our own success: different scenarios, probably different results. By this I don't mean that I'm a proponent of always running the latest build, because by reading the Changes file I can see if it's i.e. a fix for Windows or something else, which I evaluate and decide to do.

How many different sysops have reported abuses on this list? How many have taken the action that Dirk has proposed?

I don't think you have been able to read all the comments on the list, because as you said you are busy. I can tell you that I sent an email to 80% of the sysops informing them of what is happening on the network and asking for their cooperation. I have received all kinds of replies, for which I am very grateful. Others have simply answered NOTHING - they were not obliged to - and others have simply got the wrong email. So it hasn't been as simple as just putting up a list and having it *shoot* to the nodes either. For example, I remember sending you an email requesting the blocking of some nodes, but I must have got the email wrong.

I think there are neither guilty nor innocent here, there are sysops who manage and sysops who don't, the reasons are diverse, but that is a reality that affects us all. And as I said a few days ago, joining a node to the network entails a responsibility because it can affect other nodes, so we have to assess whether we are willing to *play as a team* or not. This list is a great place for questions and clarifications, help and advice.

Developers of software for dxclusters know - or should know - that modifications, improvements and changes are made, and they, who add value by connecting to dxclusters, should not be surprised that passwords are used. For example, N1MM has received several requests to integrate it into their software, we are still waiting.
If this change or any other change depends on those client developers deciding whether or not to implement it, this is where the future ends.

One thing we agree on Howard: I'm not a fan of change for change's sake either. The changes proposed so far have been published for discussion, seeking collective improvement and not immobilism.

I am making my reply public because I believe there is still a lack of constructive debate.

Excuse my English.

73 de Kin EA3CV