[Dxspider-support] Secure node to node connection proposal

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Sun Feb 26 10:01:02 GMT 2023

  A couple quick comments fwiw..

  I think to do this, you would need to setup and second network, and
maybe interconnect it with the current network, as like Iain said, this
is just way over the top for many.  I would probably participate with a
second node, if possible, but to force on the current nodes will kill
the current network and it's users to a large extent.

  That said, you really need Dirk to weigh in on this, I believe his
telnet is not a standard implementation, but I just remember some past
comments, and this would require a redesign.   Tunneling SSH to mandate
everyone using it, first would be a terrible way to do it, it should be
part of the programs.  Second, now all hams, and all software coders
that write code to support hams now have to redo their code to support
native SSH connections.  I love SSH personally, but to force it on all
the various programmers and thinking it's just going to fly will never work.

  As I mentioned the other day, I know the N3FJP contest software uses
the cluster, many on my node, and it does not support passwords, so
again someone that has to make coding changes.  Just FYI, there is also
encrypted Telnet, granted I rarely see it used.

  So in closing, as also came up last week, a lot of updating has been
done, we now have lists of bad calls and IP's being used on the nodes,
it's really time to see if that cleans up stuff enough it's not such a
problem anymore.

Cheers, and 73's...

---
Howard Leadmon - WB3FFV