[Dxspider-support] Secure node to node connection proposal

g4piq at btinternet.com g4piq at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 26 11:06:23 GMT 2023

I run a cluster which is optimised to meet the needs of groups of contesters
who I'm in various teams with (GB7MRS). It's actually currently isolated (in
the traditional usage of set/isolate) from the rest of the network until I
get round to implementing a local spot and global spot option.

I think the only way that Mikel's proposal would work would be to have a new
'clean' network - with the sorts of controls which Mikel suggests, and a
'dirty' network - that looks like we have today (and is probably actually
the existing network less those who leave to join the 'clean' one.)

As a competitive contester - I want to receive the maximum number of spots
received with the minimum latency with an acceptable level of accuracy. I
would be happy to run a cluster with enforced registration and even
passwords to send spots and to connect to the clean network. But I would
also connect it to the 'dirty' network with an incoming hop count of 1 (I
assume that is supported) to ensure my users saw all spots, but none were
passed onto the rest of the clean network.

BTW - my sense is that the big source of trouble is from DXSummit - that
feels like the open gate which  needs addressing.

73

Andy, G4PIQ