[Dxspider-support] Multiple shuts and restarts by Spider Cron in same minute

John Spigel w1an.dxusa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 19:53:41 GMT 2023

With all the discussion adding registration, passwords, with updated
country files, bad this and that, etc., now being included with frequent
new builds, and 'shut' from crontab taking at least a minute to
complete, what would it take to hold users and connections over this
restart period akin to a 'sleep' command? A new internal command, say,
'shut4update', would pause the restart for 60 seconds, allow the
spidercron clock to increment, suspend or lengthen timeouts so not to
drop or disconnect.

The benefit: Users, sometimes hundreds at once, would not need to
reconnect with passwords; loss of access would typically be only 10-20
seconds, and missed by much of the contest software out there.

I am not a coder. If I knew a little more about perl than I do now I
would be dangerous.

73, John W1AN