[Dxspider-support] 3B7M wrong grid propagating across network

Michael Carper, Ph.D. mike at wa9pie.net
Mon Feb 27 16:47:09 GMT 2023

Regarding HRD...

There are 3 places where a user will see a grid or coordinates in Logbook:

DX Cluster pane

   - In the DX Cluster pane, there are no callsign lookups into QRZ (QRZCQ,
   HamQTH, etc). If each DX spot generated a callsign lookup, each user would
   be sending about 30,000 lookup requests per day to their lookup service.
   Therefore...
   - Whatever is shown in the DX Cluster pane is based on the grid or
   coordinates provided by the DX cluster node you're connected to for a given
   call. And...
   - This data is entered into the DX cluster node by someone representing
   that call. It then can propagate across DX clusters in some cases.
   - Presently, most DX cluster nodes are showing the grid for 3B7M as
   JD15, as entered on HA6DX. (this taken on node WA9PIE-2)
   - Because callsign lookups aren't made for DX spots, any information
   shown in the DX cluster pane should be considered *an estimate*.

Add Log Entry (ALE) and Lookup pane

   - Because the ALE is what is used to put data into the log, it DOES use
   the callsign lookup logic (QRZ, QRZCQ, HamQTH, etc).
   - The Lookup pane also uses this method.
   - As such, the accuracy of the data is dependent upon the accuracy of
   the data entered by the OM who manages the entry in the lookup source (QRZ,
   QRZCQ, HamQTH, etc).
   - QRZ.com (as an example) contains LH93se for 3B7M. It is
   "User Supplied" data. The page is managed by OM5ZW. This grid is likely
   correct.

Overall...

   - The DX cluster pane shows estimates based on the user-entered data in
   the DX cluster node system. But this is not the data that gets logged.
   - Any data that gets sent to the log via the ALE uses callsign lookup
   data (if configured by the user).
   - Data obtained during the callsign lookup is used in creating the QSO.
   Fields that do not fill from the callsign lookup are left empty.

All that to say this...

   - I've made 3 QSOs with 3B7M. My QRZ.com XML subscription was used for
   callsign lookup. All of them logged with LH93se as provided by QRZ.com.
   - As such, there's no problem with Ham Radio Deluxe (aka "HRD"). It's
   flawlessly showing the results of whatever user-provided data is found for
   3B7M.

If anyone has an example of where the LOGGED data for 3B7M is wrong, I'd be
happy to take a look.

Mike, WA9PIE
HRD Software