[Dxspider-support] rcmd & sh/ver

Brian Stucker me at kb2s.net
Tue Mar 7 08:32:28 GMT 2023

Food for thought:

Should anyone really be able to gather this sort of information using the
software itself? Seems like an excellent way for an attacker to quickly
find a node that is running a version of the software that they're
interested in exploiting. I suspect you're also going to run into GDPR
concerns as telemetry is still data, the node has personally
identifying information (a callsign), and I believe that would make you a
data processor.

Getting buy-in from spider nodes to send telemetry to a trusted location
would alleviate both concerns and keep the information away from someone
who wanted to use it for "planning" purposes.

73,
Brian - KB2S