[Dxspider-support] my point on passwords

Ricardo Suarez elu9da at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:42:07 GMT 2023

Since many users of the cluster network do not use passwords to access
on a day-to-day basis, any change in the way of access carried out by
the sysop will cause many users to migrate to other clusters not updated
to the new policy and they will automatically stop thinking that the
"xxxxx" cluster is a good system, since it presents them with a new
annoyance, rather than an advantage.

It is enough that a network cluster does not implement the password for
it to absorb, sooner or later, all the users who do not want to waste
time typing the password or modifying their log programs and spam will
continue to exist.

The only solution that in my opinion is valid is for a new version of
Spider to block traffic that does not come from clusters with a
password, as well as to make the password mandatory and not an option.

Unfortunately, this is going to lead to the creation of an alternative
network with old versions of spider or other server programs and those
who put the new versions will be left without clients.

I don't see an easy and painless remedy on the horizon.

Rick LU9DA