[Dxspider-support] Filtering example - can anyone figure this out?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 11:26:36 GMT 2023

On 29/10/2023 20:21, Martin Davies G0HDB via Dxspider-support wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2023 at 0:18, Michael Carper, Ph.D. via Dxspider-suppor wrote:
>
>> I've tried to set my filters as follows:
> [Snipped]
>
>> While the first four filters work, filter5 doesn't work. Specifically, I
>> see spots from spotters outside of "w,ve".
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Mike, WA9PIE
> Hello Mike, I've just checked the Filtering manual and it shows that the syntax for including
> one or more prefixes in a filter is just 'by' rather than 'by_dxcc' as you've shown in your filter 5
> - 'by_dxcc' is the pattern that needs the DXCC numbers as you've shown.
>
> On this basis you could use (without the subsequent line that includes 'by_dxcc'):
>
> accept/spot 5 by w,ve

Thank you Martin. Absolutely correct. I didn't spot it.

> Or alternatively you could try modifying filter 5 to be a reject filter, ie.
>
> reject/spot 5 not by w,ve

Please, please - NOT this double negative logic. It'll work by itself,
but it will likely interact in unexpected ways in more complex chains of
accept/reject rules. The NOT qualifier *can* be needed in (very)
exceptional circumstances, but one would be better using accept for
things you specifically WANT and/or use reject for things that you
specifically DON'T WANT.

Reminder: reject rules are done first, anything left after any reject
rules are then passed to the accept rules where anything that falls
through the filter(s) will be dumped.

73 Dirk G1TLH