[Dxspider-support] bands.pl

g4piq at btinternet.com g4piq at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 19 10:31:18 BST 2024

Hi Dirk,

If you get no other takers, I’m willing to have a go. I don’t think these things change frequently enough to make it worth having it as a dynamic item – probably best updating is obtained by including it in the package. You’ll know better – but I suspect those that don’t update their code moderately regularly perhaps don’t update the subtle features like this either?

One point of discussion. You can apply the band plans as the are stated in the IARU documentation – or as they get applied in practice in the busiest contests. For example – on normal days – RTTY on 20m is normally around 14070-14090 region, but in the busiest RTTY contests it extends way up to 14150 (in the All Modes section). But, on 360 days of the year, 14101-14150 is occupied by SSB. So – if we set the limits to where the contest stuff spreads, then in most times – users with the RTTY filter set would get lots of false SSB spots.

For that reason – I think it would probably be best to retain it as it is with ‘normal operation’. Contesters are best not to set a filter on the cluster and use the bandmap functions in their logging software to customise what they want to see.

73

Andy, G4PIQ