[Dxspider-support] Abusive show/heading commands

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Sun Jan 14 22:25:56 GMT 2024

I’m in regular conversation with the author of HamClock.  He’s aware of this and is very open to suggestions.

He’s already made a number of changes over the last few versions following my feedback to reduce the amount of traffic that HamClock generates, a big one last year was switching from regular keep-alive commands every few minutes down to just sending a ping if there’s no activity for ten minutes.

I have around twenty HamClocks connected to my node with only an FTTC connection (80Mbps down, 20Mbps up) and it’s not swamping my connection at all.  I use HamClock myself and find it a very useful tool so I personally don’t have a problem with people connecting to my node using it.

At the moment, when a HamClock is connected to a DX Spider and receives a spot, it sends a show/heading command so it can plot the received spot on the map.   If there’s any alternative to this, I’m happy to pass it on to him.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how he can reduce this but still provide the same functionality, I’m very happy to pass them on and I’m sure he’ll look into it.

But describing HamClock as sh*t software and being abusive isn’t the way to go here.

I’m wondering if he can somehow cache the cty file locally on the HamClock and use that as a lookup.

I will mention to him that this subject has been raised again.

73 Keith G6NHU