[Dxspider-support] Hamclock User

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Wed Jan 17 08:15:49 GMT 2024

This is a change to a recent version of HamClock added specifically to help reduce bounces.  If someone tries to connect using the same callsign they’ve used elsewhere, it can cause forced connections.

From the FAQ:

Some folks wonder why there is a limit of 10 connections per hour. This was implemented at the request of several spider sysops. HamClock can get into a repeating loop of reconnecting in several scenarios:

You have multiple software programs connecting to the same cluster using the same login.

Spiders reject multiple simultaneous logins from the same callsign. So when HamClock connects with the same call, the spider disconnects, HamClock retries and this repeats continuously. The limit of 10 now prevents this. The solution is to use a unique suffix for each program, such as WB0OEW-1 and WB0OEW-2.

You have set some nonsense cluster login, such as all blanks or NOCALL.
The spiders also reject these, resulting in the same reconnect looping situation. The solution is to enter a valid call sign, perhaps with a suffix as above. As of version 3.02, HamClock automatically uses the Call Sign if the DX login field is blank but, again, this will conflict with other programs using the same login.

73 Keith G6NHU