[Dxspider-support] Talk messages...

Andrew B. White k9cw at prairienet.org
Sun Feb 20 14:49:45 GMT 2000

Hi Dirk,

I just discovered an interesting feature of "talk" messages.  It is not a
problem, but it might be a surprise the first time someone sees it.

We are running our node using K9CW as the callsign, and I log in as
K9CW-7.  If "t k9cw-7" is used to send a talk message, it appears on my
screen as it should.  However, if "t k9cw" is used, what I receive is the
raw PC10 protocol message - which is OK since it still has the message
text inside.  A talk message to any other SSID except K9CW-7 seems to be
silently discarded.

Occasionally I have seen other raw protocol messages appear on my
terminal, but this is the first time I have been able to identify the
cause.  As I say, I don't view this as a problem, just an interesting
DXSpider "feature".

73, Drew

|    Andrew B. White  K9CW    |    internet: k9cw at prairienet.org    |
|    ABW Associates, Ltd.     |   phone/fax: 217-643-7327           |