[Dxspider-support] Duffers corner!

Goody goody at fast.net
Wed Jul 5 19:49:45 BST 2000

Mark Trotman wrote:

> Question 3
> As GDX is connected to the ISP with a dynamic I/P address, every two
> hours (or thereabouts) it is disconnected by the ISP. When GDX
> rejoins the network, there is a great likelihood that it will have a
> different address. What I am looking for is a way that I can remotely
> sysop the box from another machine connected to the Internet via
> another dynamic link. Does anyone have any ideas how this may be
> possible? What if I wanted to connect in and remain connected (as a
> user, for example) for periods longer than the ISP allocated 2
> hours??

To solve the dynamic IP address issue, use dynamic DNS.  Justlinux.com
and ods.org offer free dynamic dns services.

Other than getting a different ISP or a dedicated connection, there's
not much you can do about the disconnect every two hours.  I suppose you
could do something funky with a second dial up account and some VPN
stuff, but you'd still dump any TCP connections in the process.