[Dxspider-support] 1200 bit/s and CVS

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 15:21:32 BST 2001

On 23 Apr 2001 08:37:42 +0200, Kjell Jarl wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to warn you not to do as I did when upgrading.
> I started a CVS upgrade late in the evening over my 1200 bit/s radio. As
> it took so long time I went to bed. In the morning I had forgotten it
> all. After work, I found that the node was off. I had to go to the site
> and press the reset button (the PC had went out of virtual memory and
> was killing processes it seemed).

A 1200bps radio link is not recommended but what you could do to reduce
the traffic and still all you actually need:-

cd /spider
cvs -z3 update -d data perl cmd

This will reduce the amount of traffic as a small change in the wrong
place in the manuals can trigger downloads of many (very slightly
altered) manual pages.

> It seems dxspider will crash the system if not restarted after
> upgrading?

It can do if there are incompatible changes to the cmd subtree vis-a-vis
the old versions of the modules in the perl tree.

There were such changes this time.

Dirk G1TLH