[Dxspider-support] Telnet Port 23 access

Fred Allstadt n1zuk at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 31 20:58:06 GMT 2001

I would like to allow my users to use telnet port 23 for access to my
DXSpider cluster.  There are some client programs that don't handle
non-traditional ports (ie. 8000) well, and it would be less confusing to
those users that are "computer impared".  I am using the Listeners.pm
interface, and it's working correctly at 8000, but I'm having difficulty in
getting port 23 operational.

My Listeners.pm file is pretty simple:
.
.
@listen = (
		["0.0.0.0",8000],
		["0.0.0.0",23]
		);
.
.

When starting cluster.pl, I get the following:
Copyright...
DXSpider Version 1.49, build 56.887...
.
.
External Port 0.0.0.0 8000
IO:Socket::INET: Permission denied
Could not create socket: Permission denied
            Msg::new_server('ExtMsg', 0.0 0.0, 23 'CODE(0x88a4970)') called
at ./cluster.pl line 387
Could not create socket: permission denied

I have the references to telnetd commented out in /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf, so there should be no conflict there (I use SSH to access
my machine when I'm away from home).  I tried changing the permission of
Listeners.pm from sysop:spider to root:root to see if that would work, but
no joy there.

Is there some way I can access a port below 1000, shy of running the entire
cluster from root (I haven't even tried that, yet).  I would like to stay
with the Listeners.pm interface, as it's very well behaved with the AR
Cluster node I access.  (CLX had an unrepairable PC12 echo which was the
main reason I discarded it).

Thanks for any help, and have a Happy New Year! --
Fred   N1ZUK
n1zuk at adelphia.net