[Dxspider-support] Need a mentor

n4dw at juno.com n4dw at juno.com
Thu Jul 26 03:33:25 BST 2001

Hi All,

I've been using computers since the days of the RS CO-CO, but this new
operating system called ME has me totally buffaloed!

I have carefully gathered all the software required in the Microsoft
Windows Installation section of the DXSpider Installation Manual.  This
after assembling a fairly good pc starting with mainboard & processor
being placed in my hands and the challange to "get it working".  It's an
AMD K6-3D Processor on an ATX mainboard to which I added 128 meg ram, 30
gig hd, case & more plus ms windows me 4.90.3000.  This is my only
exposure to "me".

The first step of installing PERL seemed to go well, but after rebooting,
when I went to dos and "perl -v", NOTHING, "bad command" in any directory
except \perl\bin where a short message appears briefly discussing perl.
I did find the dos window in programs, accessories.

I checked the root directory for config and autoexec files.  One config
with nothing much in it.  No visible autoexec file.  Since I've been
around a while I tried "attrib" and there are three hidden autoexec's
".bat", ".vtb" & "dos".  The .bat & .vtb have a path alterting line as
the last line, but .dos does not.  I attempted to remove the "hidden"
attribute from the three and was successful with .bat & .vtb, but .dos
resists all attempts to undhide it or remove the s attribute.  Ergo, I am
unable to alter the path and perl is not in the path at present.

I have been unable to start this machine in dos and me only comes up
normally or in "safe???" mode.

How do I add the path altering line to "autoexec.dos"?  Or better yet,
how do I edit "autoexec.dos"?

TIA,
Dave
n4dw at juno.com