[Dxspider-support] It's me probably !

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 11:52:07 GMT 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 11:24, g3orh wrote:
> Hi group,
>
>                   Have done some checking lately having had to recover from
> one or two (self induced) hiccups with spider.
>
> After upgrading or shifting upgrade files between two computers to upgrade
> I have found the group "spider" has been altered either to utmp or to xfs.
> Overcome this with chown -R to the spider directory but it occurred to me I
> was doing something inccorectly which caused this necessity. To upgrade I
> login as root and unpack the cvslates.tgx from /tmp (Should I login as the
> user designated which in my case is sysop ?) It is when in as root and
> unpacking from /tmp that the spider group gets stamped utmp.

You should ALWAYS either log in as the 'sysop' user or 'su - sysop'
before unpacking or upgrading the archive.

There are a set of procedures to follow in the installation and upgrade
parts of the website for reference.

But if you have already unpacked as 'root' and your 'sysop' user is
'sysop' then do the following:-

login: root
password:
# cd /spider
# chown -R sysop.sysop .
# find . -type f -exec chmod 0664 {} \;
# find . -type d -exec chmod 02775 {} \;

Which should make it all alright again.

Dirk G1TLH