[Dxspider-support] loading local/spot.pm

Ian J Maude ianmaude at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 13 19:15:23 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 18:34, Filip Jonckers wrote:

> SET/CONTEST:
> this is what I really would like to have...
> calls a separate function to display the spot (maybe in Local.pm ?)
> which can be dynamically loaded (without restarting the cluster - say
> you are in a big contest and want to change something ...)
>
> In this function could do all sort of things..
> display stuff like with SET/EXTENDED
> but I would also like to do things like:
> - check if spot is a multiplier
> - check if already worked
> - ....
> you name it ...
I think a discussion on this is pretty important actually.  Whilst I
like the idea of the various options as outlined, I am not sure that
this is a cluster issue.  I can understand the bandwidth arguments
although most people seem to be connecting via Internet these days,
especially during contests.  Should this not be a client issue?  I know
Dirk has ideas about server/client relationships in the cluster arena
and a protocol based client would be an obvious next step if multicast
were available.  My only concern then would be how to get contest
logging programs to talk to the client.  Of course, a perl(?) client
could have a logging program attached that would be platform
independent.  You would only need to be able to export files in
something like ADIF to be standard.

Easy for me to say of course as a non-programming person ;-)

Ian