[Dxspider-support] loading local/spot.pm

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 20:12:07 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 18:34, Filip Jonckers wrote:

I have now changed where the DXSpot is formatted for broadcast. As a
result it should be easier to do different things according to things
like who the user is, what sort of terminal is attached.

> this is basically something I wanted to do for several years now..
>
> you could keep the "standard" format for default users
> and introduce an new format (or several...)
>
> just a thought:
>
> SET/DEFAULT   -> change to default display (AK1A) format
> SET/EXTENDED  -> change to extended view...
> SET/CONTEST   -> change to contest view...
>
> SET/EXTENDED:
> extra fields like CQ zone, ITU, DXCC, country, heading(short/long), ...
> maybe switchable with other commands (set/cq, set/dxcc, set/qty, ...)
>
> this would be a very nice feature often asked for by beginning amateurs
> or non-big-dx'ers
> and would make clusters more user friendly even for casual users...

Uuuummm..

Well, what is currently available at spot formatting time is: all the
fields that you currently see + the DXCC number, ITU and CQ zones for
both spotter and spotted.

It would be relatively easy to add other reference material like
headings/distances and so on.

> SET/CONTEST:
> this is what I really would like to have...
> calls a separate function to display the spot (maybe in Local.pm ?)
> which can be dynamically loaded (without restarting the cluster - say
> you are in a big contest and want to change something ...)
>
> In this function could do all sort of things..
> display stuff like with SET/EXTENDED
> but I would also like to do things like:
> - check if spot is a multiplier
> - check if already worked
> - ....
> you name it ...

No, I think YOU need to name it.

Given that someone can tell me, in considerable detail, what you want
out of a contest mode, I suspect I could add it.

An obvious thought would be a contest calendar with an associated
'rule-set' for each contest and I suspect I could turn it into an
integrated contest logging program without trying very hard.

Which would be an interesting way round for these things to happen...

Special PC protocol lines which are sucked into the central contesting
database and checked in realtime?

> this could also be used for other things ofcourse ....
>
> All of this could ofcourse be done in a spot-sucking client
> but as you said... those things are not good ideas ...
>
> Just some things I'm thinking about for a long time...
> and I would like to help develop stuff for this
>
> Hope you got an idea about what I'm talking about...
> Lot of this comes from talking to users and mostly contesters
>
> Let's hope this doesn't start a big discussion :-)

Methinks you are pulling my erm.. leg here.

I hope it does.

Dirk G1TLH