[Dxspider-support] loading local/spot.pm

Filip Jonckers fjonckers at Interconnect.be
Tue Nov 13 19:46:43 GMT 2001

> I think a discussion on this is pretty important actually.  Whilst I
> like the idea of the various options as outlined, I am not sure that
> this is a cluster issue.  I can understand the bandwidth arguments
> although most people seem to be connecting via Internet these days,
> especially during contests.  Should this not be a client
> issue?

I think if we want to do this kind of stuff.. even more bandwidth
is needed at client side
having all data at server side and sending only results would
be the best

>  I know
> Dirk has ideas about server/client relationships in the cluster arena
> and a protocol based client would be an obvious next step if multicast
> were available.

Multicast is difficult in ax25 kinda connections
even with tcp/ip over ax25

>  My only concern then would be how to get contest
> logging programs to talk to the client.  Of course, a perl(?) client
> could have a logging program attached that would be platform
> independent.  You would only need to be able to export files in
> something like ADIF to be standard.

I have already a perl script that can read CT logfiles
and which can capture realtime CT network data...

the main purpose is to use this at a local
basis - at a contest site with a local cluster on the network
but with the possibilities to have clients connected via
ax25 or internet...
example: we have several operators which are not 48 hours on site
but who would like to be kept informed at home (score, multi's, ...)
a contest mgr could watch from a distance how a team is doing.....

F.