[Dxspider-support] Spot backup

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 10:33:52 GMT 2001

On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 09:36, g3orh wrote:
> Looking at crontab , spot files get generated at 3am each day. Seeing as
> how I now have several months of these daily files , is there anything ,
> operationally speaking , against my zipping these files leaving perhaps one
> months files still available for searching ?

So long as you realize that they are really NOT then available for
searching. Personally I would leave at least 3 months worth.

The problem will come when someone wants to do research, as they will.

Your decision.

Dirk

PS, you'll be wanting the 'find' command to do it for you automatically,
I expect.

login as sysop
$ crontab -e

in the editor type:

0 4 * * * find /spider/data/spots -type f -mtime +2140 -exec gzip {} \;

exit from the editor

That will leave the last 90 days worth available.