[Dxspider-support] File forwarding and other questions

John Clayton g4pdq at arrl.net
Sun Nov 18 23:16:20 GMT 2001

In message <1006121790.992.14.camel at dirk2.int.tobit.co.uk>, Dirk Koopman
<djk at tobit.co.uk> writes
>On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 14:51, charlie carroll wrote:
(snip)

>> Second question...
>> It seems that personal mail is not forwarding unless the recipient is
>> logged into the cluster.  Often times we have users who log in for very
>> short periods of time.  Their mail will sit on a node until it's queued
>> and sent.  Wouldn't it be better to forward personal mail to their home
>> node regardless of whether the user is logged in or not?  That way the
>> mail is waiting for them when they log in, regardless of the duration of
>> the log in.
>
>You'de have thought so and up until my 20th or so personal mail loop I
>would have agreed. The problem is that people do not reliably update
>their HOMENODE information. Nor do they make sure it is propagated. Nor
>does all cluster software have the wherewithall to propagate it either.
>
>With internet connected nodes this can mean that a personal message can
>wonder around the system re-appearing every couple of minutes or so,
>clocking up message numbers as it goes. It can happen so fast that it is
>very difficult to sync the deletes so that you can stop it.
>
>As a result I no longer believe HOMENODE information and wait until the
>person appears and then send stuff.

However, it means that users on "the other side" of a limited protocol
connection from the sender will not receive the message as the
originating node may never see them logged on.
It also means that mail to a "pseudo" address (ie an addressee that is
set up for a specific purpose and does not actually log on) does not get
delivered. we had such an address in the UK network which has worked
fine for years. It is DX1QSL, set up so that users can send a message
addressed to it requesting QSL information. The message would be
forwarded to GB7DXC and then processed on GB7DXC and any info pertaining
to the message would be automatically returned to the user in a mail
message.  This system has now ceased to work.  No on was informed that
the system was being altered - we had to wait for users to complain that
they were not getting answers to their messages.

(snip)

Cheers for now de John, G4PDQ.
--
John Clayton