[Dxspider-support] unattended operation

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 12:20:51 BST 2002

If it loops too fast then init will 'slug' the job after about 5
attempts. It will then sleep for about 5 minutes and try again.

It also puts messages into the system log whilst this is going on, along
the lines of "xxxxx is respawning too fast".

Also, if you are running X or you aren't really interested in the
console output (you can always watch this in realtime using 'watchdbg')
then:

DX:23:respawn:/bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl" sysop >/dev/null

might be better. This redirects the output to the bit bucket.

If you are running X then /dev/tty7 tends to be used as the X console
and won't start up with spider running on /dev/tty7. You can use any tty
you like instead (I use tty8).

Dirk G1TLH