[Dxspider-support] Redhat 7.2 installation

Bill Shell n6ws at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 03:32:32 GMT 2002

Hello,

I just recently completed my first installation of DXSpider 1.49 on a Redhat
7.2 system.  From beginning a new OS load to DXSpider starting only took
about 6 hours.  A lot of that time was spent compiling the kernel twice on a
100 MHz Pentium.  I forgot to include the 3com Ethernet card on the first
compile.  Oops.

I found it very easy to gather all of the perl module files and install
DXSpider.      It worked on the first try.

I did find one area I believe is not covered in the installation or
administration manuals.  So, I just wanted to pass along the following
information.

Paragraph 3.2 in the installation manual explains how to install a telnet
port if you are using inetd and have a /etc/inetd.conf file.  If you are
using xinet.d on RH 7.2 the /etc/services information is still correct, but
you will need to create a new file /etc/xinet.d/spdlogin.  The contents of
the file I used follows:

#
# /etc/xinetd.d/spdlogin
#
# default: on
# unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service spdlogin
{
      flags             = NODELAY
      socket_type       = stream
      protocol          = tcp
      wait              = no
      user              = root
      server            = /spider/src/client
      server_args       = login telnet
      log_on_failure    += USERID
      disable           = no
}
#     type              = UNLISTED
#     port              = 8000
#
# End of spdlogin

I'm sorry for the bandwidth if this is a repeat of previously posted
information, but I wasn't able to find it.

73, Bill
N6WS