[Dxspider-support] Some Possible Upgrades ?

Tony Cioffi n2ki at arrl.net
Mon Jan 28 23:02:55 GMT 2002

Hello Fellow Spiders,

    I have been running the software quite successfully to the joy of
many ( thanks to Dirk).   I do , however, wonder if there are some ways
to enhance the system to better be remotely controlled.     For instance
- could there be a way to initiate a start up via AX25 or Telnet after
using the "shut" command.   As it stands now, if the shut command is
issued remotely, the system is down unless there is someone home that
can start it up again.   Another possible enhancement would be to be
able to see what error message is gotten when trying to access a
particular node connection when the internet is down.   For example.  My
node is fed via internet from a friends node.   If at anytime, the
connection to him is broken, you will only see an error message on the
PERL window (except when you see the Logout message assuming it is
enabled).  As such the other day I was getting a "425 error Unable to
connect with remote host".  If I were remotely issuing a connect request
to the supporting node, I would not be seeing this error.  The
connection would not be made and the only real way of seeing if the
connection went through is by using the "w" command to see "who" is
connected.  These are just a couple of  things that would make remote
operation from my vantage point a little bit easier.   Otherwise, the
system is doing really well (Thanks Dirk).   Any suggestions form the
gurus ?

Tony - N2KI