[Dxspider-support] Connecting CT to Spider Serial Port

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Wed Jun 12 07:31:19 BST 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:21:53PM -0400, John Spigel wrote:
> Thanks to support provide by members of this list,
> especially Charlie K1XX, I've finally got Spider up and
> running.
>
> Now I would like to use a free serial port on the spider
> linux box to access the cluster from my CT contesting
> software running on a DOS box.  In other words the Spider
> box would need to appear as a TNC to the DOS box using the
> same com port configuration for the CT program. I would use
> a null modem cable. Has anyone accomplished this? For CT or
> any other contesting program? I would prefer to keep the dos
> box and not run windows.

I don't have an answer to your question, but you might take a look at
TLF (a Linux contesting program similar to TR-Log).  I tried it out
during the WPX running on the same box as DXspider and it displayed the
spots quite nicely (my shack is now DOS/Windows-free).  It is still
being developed, but many of the major contests and a few minor ones
are already supported.

http://www.iae.nl/users/reinc/TLF-0.2.html

There is another Linux contesting program, CX, which emulates CT, but
that appears to be not as complete at this time.

There is a neat single-floppy distribution of Linux including TLF and a
CW keyer at <http://debianham.sunsite.dk>.

73, Bob N7XY

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy at n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net