[Dxspider-support] AX25 - Something Not Just Right Yet!

Jim Johnson jim at kc4hw.net
Sun Mar 10 12:46:17 GMT 2002

Hello Ian and all

Well after a week long delay I am back trying to resolve the problem of
users connecting to DXS.

During this time I checked the TNC and the hook up cables between the
computer , TNC and the radio.  By the way, this hardware was a working
environment with PacketCluster and BPQ.

I am able to make connections via the Console to users.  I even placed a
entry in the crontab to check the connection every 20 minutes and if not
connected then reconnect the user(s).  These parts work pretty darn
good.  by the way, once connected the traffic seems to flow very well
between the system and the users.

Unfortunately the users can not make a connection to the DXSpider.  I
can see their connection attempts (SABM+) but no response from the
system.  The TNC is seeing the connection attempts as indicated with a
receive light and other activity as indicated by other lights on the TNC.

On 1 Mar 02, at 14:10, Ian J Maude wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 13:40, Jim Johnson wrote:
> > Helllisteno Everyone,
> >
> > My users are able to connect to DXSpider.  While Listen -ap VHF (my radio
> > port) I am able to see the the user trying to connect by DXS will not
> > acknowledge.
> Hi Jim,
> You don't say how you set it all up so it is a little difficult to be
> precise.

Not sure what you mean by this, but here is a brief description of what is
what at the node...  Computer is a P100 with Red Hat 7.2 and linux kernel
2.4.14, patched with 15,16 and 17.  KPC3 TNC in kiss mode.  I used the
rpm versions of libax25, ax25-tools, and ax25-app.  I run the node in
three xterm windows, one for the node, the second for the console, and
the third for listen (TNC traffic).  I start the node, then the console and
then kissattach the TNC and finally listen.  So if you need more
information, please let me know..

> One idea that springs to mind is... have you set up ax25d.conf
> correctly?  What call are they trying to connect to and what is in
> ax25d.conf for your cluster?

Here is the configuration file.  I am not using NETROM so I just
commented out those lines.  This file is owned by root.

# /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf
#
# ax25d Configuration File.
#
# AX.25 Ports begin with a '['.
#
[KC4HW VIA VHF]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  -	sysop /spider/src/client client %s ax25
#
[KC4HW-1 VIA VHF]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/sbin/node	node
#
#
#[OH2BNS VIA 2]
#NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
#default  * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/local/sbin/ttylinkd	ttylinkd
#
#[OH2BNS-2 VIA 2]
#NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
#default  * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/sbin/node	node
#
#[OH2BNS-3 VIA 2]
#NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
#default  * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/local/sbin/axwrapper	axwrapper
/usr/bin/finger finger
#
#[OH2BNS-9]
#NOCALL  * * * * * *  L
#default * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/sbin/node	node
#
# NET/ROM Ports begin with a '<'.
#
#<netrom>
#NOCALL  * * * * * *  L
#default * * * * * *  -	root  /usr/local/sbin/ttylinkd	ttylinkd
#
#<netrom2>
#NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
#default  * * * * * *  -	sysop /spider/src/client client %s ax25e
#