[Dxspider-support] Local Serial Connection

John Spigel #jms at 99main.com
Tue Nov 12 03:11:20 GMT 2002

I'm trying to set up a local serial port connection for the
CT logging software. The spider linux box runs RH 7.3, with
ttyS1 for RF, and ttyS0 for the serial connection to my
windows box.  I am using a standard null modem ('laplink')
cable. I've editted the inittab file as described in the
admin manual and ran telinit q.  I am trying to read between
the lines... do I need to initialize the connection in some
way? How does the linux box know I'm on the serial port in
order to send the login prompt?  Is there a cron file I must
edit to wake up the port? I've tried the same routine with
RH 6.2 after rpm-ing agetty.  No luck there either. Could
the cable be the problem? I am using hyperterminal to test
the communication.

Thank you.

73, John W1AN
http://dxusa.net