[Dxspider-support] WWV vs WCY

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 10:40:39 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 02:28, Dave Hawes wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1.  Why don't the SFI and A index data agree?  Is it a matter of where
> the data is measured on the planet?  In the states, we are
> accustomed to monitoring the WWV broadcasts from Boulder, CO.

Correct. The A & K values are the ones measured at the DK0WCY beacon
location in Kiel, DE. They will be different from the ones at Boulder
(sometimes). What is interesting is watching the arrival of a CME event
as it affects different parts of the planet.

> 2.  How does one interpret the "Exp. K" data?

As I understand it, this is an indication of the short term trend and
slope pertaining at the time of sampling of K. I.e. whether K is steady
(Exp K = K), rising (Exp K > K) or falling (Exp K < K) and by how much.

Personally I am not completely convinced of the algorithms used  - but
hey, I may be leading you astray here anyway.

> 3.  What is "R" ?

R is the relative Sun Spot Number. An explanation I have seen goes like
this:

"The relative sunspot number is an index of the activity of the entire
visible disk of the Sun.  It is determined each day without reference to
preceding days.  Each isolated cluster of sunspots is termed a sunspot
group, and it may consist of one or a large number of distinct spots
whose size can range from 10 or more square degrees of the solar surface
down to the limit of resolution (e.g., 1/25 square degree).  The
relative sunspot number is defined as R = K (10g + s), where g is the
number of sunspot groups and s is the total number of distinct spots.
The scale factor K (usually less than unity) depends on the observer and
is intended to effect the conversion to the scale originated by Wolf"

"The determination of the provisional International Sunspot Numbers Ri
results from a statistical treatment of the data originating from more
than twenty-five observing stations."

http://www.dk0wcy.de