[Dxspider-support] [quiet announce] US state filtering
djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 13:31:27 BST 2002
In the latest build in CVS I have put in an alpha version of US State
filtering. The build you require is 57.119.
This is not for the faint of heart and if you haven't upgraded recently,
I would hold off upgrading from CVS for a few days whilst I sort out the
mess I have created sticking this in.
That is, unless this is a feature that is important to you *and* you
fancy having a play.
Anyway, this is what it does:
* In the US, many Amateurs want to receive spots from just their local
area, their state or callzone. This is not a common requirement in EU
but is important there.
* It has become possible to obtain detailed licencing info from the FCC
which (after some radical surgery) enables me to determine which City
and State any licenced Amateur (no 'Licence details withheld' there!)
lives. It is necessary to use this database because callzones are not
small enough + the US now has 'vanity calls' which may be out of zone.
* I shall be introducing weekly updates (as they are provided by the
FCC) as well. This will start to happen automatically when I have got
the basic software working to most people's satisfaction.
* This database, although it may be added to later, is *not*, nor will
it ever be, a substitute for sh/qrz et al. Its sole purpose is to
facilitate finer graded filtering and better realtime DXing
information and tracking. The information held is no finer than
City and State. A QRA locator and County information + non US
information that allows this mechanism to be used elsewhere, may be
* You can now filter spots, announces and routes 'by_state'
(eg acc/spot by_state va,ri,nh,me,ma) using this database with, I
believe, minimal impact on performance (although Charlie K1XX is in
charge of proving me wrong here).
* If you don't install the following stuff, your node will continue to
work and any 'by_state' filtering will be ignored. Don't install it
unless you need it or want to play.
* To install:-
1. get the latest CVS build 57.119 (or better).
2. download http://www.dxcluster.org/download/usdbraw.gz somewhere (eg
/tmp), it is ~5Mb.
3. uncompress it using your favorite program (gunzip or winzip [call it
4. Go to /spider/perl and run: create_usdb.pl /tmp/usdbraw (or whatever
you have called it).
5. Wait for a while. It may take several minutes on a slow processor or
on a machine with insufficient RAM (took about 2 minutes on my 300Mhz
K6 Windows box).
6. Restart the node, you should see a line saying 'US Database loaded'
flash past as it restarts.
This is known to work as well under Windows as it does under Linux
(whatever that means), alter the instructions above in the usual way to
Please send all your requests and complaints to this mailing list so we
can all see the issues.
More information about the Dxspider-support