[Dxspider-support] Questions re first Linux install

David A Wilson n4dw at juno.com
Wed Sep 11 12:24:01 BST 2002

Charlie, Thanks, will do so.

Ian,

This will be a two port rf system, with both ports on 2 meters for
cluster access.  Internet will primarily be for linking to another node,
but once I figure out the firewall, I may open to incoming connects.  I
have three pc's on my home network.  The two WinME systems are about 50
feet apart with a hub at the pc away from the shack and the Linux machine
is connected at the hub as well.  This WinME machine has sound and I have
accessed a Linux learning course here.  This WinME machine is also the pc
Billie (N1HEJ) uses most.  The hub is connected to the router in the
shack.

The shack WinME machine is connected to the router.  The router is
connected to the cable modem.  Yes, the shack pc is also the DXSpider
node & has the two rf ports connected.  Makes for a nice octipus

Presently in my /usr/local/packages in addition to the previously
mentioned files I also have:
ax25-apps-0.0.5.tar
ax25-tools-0.0.8.tar
ax25-utils-2.1.42a-3.i386.rpm
libax25-0.0.9.tar

I built a CDROM yesterday from all the accumulated files on various media
and also downloaded yesterday:
CVSlatest.tar (800.3k)
spider-1_49.tar (710.7k)
(and plan on using one or the other for the DXSpider installation)  Just
so I would have everything I am starting with in one place at one time.
In case I have to start all over again.  Oh, I haven't figured out how to
directly download to the Linux machine from the internet yet.  It does
have good internet capability and I have tried, but with no success.

If you "relink to the latest", how will that affect what I am doing?
Where are these links?
Will I have to down load another CVS?

I spent several years as the or an MIS guy and questions like these when
answered to my satisfaction made for smooth sailing for everyone.  I'm
also one who "don't fix what ain't broke".  Also get highly ticked at
someone (brother-in-law included) who sits down at my WIN machine and
changes my setup "because it will work better", saves the changes and
leaves.

Thats where I'm coming from, where I'm going and I'm in no great hurry.
Trying to understand each step well enough that I'm confident I won't
have to do it again, but not afraid to do it again.

Thanks,
Dave