[Dxspider-support] Re: Mrtg revisited

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 13:02:53 BST 2002

The Mrtg.pm file is in CVS (by now in the nightly tarball on the website
[http://www.dxcluster.org/download/CVSlatest.tgz]). This will regenerate
an mrtg.cfg in /spider/mrtg, together will all the input files with
data.

If you are running mrtg externally, if you use the keyword 'test' in
your crontab, then the mrtg program will not be run for you by DXSpider
and it will also not check for the existance of the mrtg binary in the
certain standard (unix) places.

00,05,... * * * * run_command('mrtg test all')

This will simply regenerate all the files. You can roll your own mrtg.pm
from the one generated, run mrtg separately using the data supplied in
the same directory. In fact you can run mrtg in 'daemon' mode. This is
actually more efficient (I believe this is possible in both unix and
microsoft versions). You use your own mrtg.cfg and time the updates to
(say) one minute after the crontab has generated the data.

Dirk