[Dxspider-support] PERL Modules

Dave Court EI3IO at connogue.com
Sun Apr 13 11:42:38 BST 2003

Hi
Thanks for all the comments advice etc:
This is how I solved the problem with a tip from EI6CPB who told me that
PERL scripts compiled within Windows can be a little 'fussy'. He advised
that for PERL modules that will not install because of errors to use a
clean /PPM (or other directory). In otherwords to remove everything you
have in the /PPM directory after the standard install instructions in
the Spider Installation Manual e.g. the files relating to other PERL
modules. With the storable.zip file extracted to a clean /PPM directory
and storable.ppd launched everything then installed nicely! Hope that's
a useful general tip.

As to copying DB_Files. Firstly, I'm using the same version of PERL on
both machines. I found I had to copy DB files since my WIN98SE machine
could not convert a .FUL file with 300,000 entries without falling over.
On a faster machine everything gets done very quickly and efficiently
and I haven't experienced a problem. And the copying seems to work!

If anyone is interested I have developed up-to-date IOTA, OBLAST, Irish
postal rates and Irish call book .FUL DBs compatible with DXSpider. I've
also converted a few of the other traditional AK1A DBs.

And finally DXQSL works fantastically, a great command!

As a Spider newbie just a few additional questions. I've found
references to the interface with qslinfo.de and have used the facility
on GB7MCB but it doesn't seem to function in my build 57.242. Secondly
the spawn command for the Linux version seems to be a useful facility
and I guess the full functionality of this command might be difficult to
reproduce in Windows. However the last cluster software I used had the
abilty to lauch .BAT and .MAC files from inside the cluster shell. I
think this would be useful if for example you needed to reboot your
machine remotely or indeed needed (because of AGW instability) to reboot
the machine after a set time interval. There's probably also many more
uses for an external command facility for Windows users. Would this be
very difficult to achieve using PERL scripts?

Best 73s Dave

--
This Email comes from Dave Court - EI3IO, G3SDL, OZ3SDL
QTH (Grid) Locator - IO63WF