[Dxspider-support] PacketCluster DX-infos to DXSpider, how?

Simo Pätäri simo.patari at omnitele.fi
Mon Dec 15 12:36:34 GMT 2003

Hi,

Our old node was DOS-based PacketCluster. For years I have been storing the
old DX-infos having an idea in my mind to import them later to our "future"
dx cluster software. Now, as I updated to DXSpider, I would like to know,
what would be the best way to implement this vast information database under
DXSpider?

I would like to make users able to sh/dx or sh/database... over the old
infos in order to check for example QSL-manager or activity information of
some old rare dxs.

What would you say, would it be best to make a database of those old
dx-infos and access the individual infos by searching the database?

Or is it more efficient to run a script which would create DXSpider-type of
DX-spot files of the old files?

If the last option is the better one, does someone have a ready script to
perform this? I would be interested to get the script. I guess I would be
able to write such a script too as an exercise in perl or as a shell script,
but the only problem is that I do not know how the DXSpider spot file time
values are calculated?

The drawback of a database style is presumably that I can find spots only by
calls not for example by what is written on the notes (QSL via ...)

I think I have infos for about five years! So it is at least 100 MB of infos
:)

Any ideas appreciated,

Greeting from Santa,
de Simo OH2LRE