[Dxspider-support] Communication between users

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 13:34:07 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 11:20, Gunnar Widell (HF/ESE) wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> Is your implementation of how to send CHAT in PC12 communicated to other software developers?
> If more people had access to CHAT mode it would be easier to complain on those users talking trough DX of ANN/FULL.

Now this is quite interesting. I chose the way I did this with some
care. It is (AFAIK, by observation, given no actual documentation) the
way that a true AK1A node does something very similar (except that it
expects to see something like '#9000.LST' instead of '#9000' as the chat
group in the appropriate slot in the PC12.

Unfortunately this is an area where other authors have not spent much
time and thus a chat PC12 may well have unexpected results on their
software.

It did seem to produce something close to what I wanted with the minimum
of disruption from GB7DJK. Unfortunately though, it seems as though
there is something out there that strips out my changes and then
rebroadcasts chat as ANN/F (even though now it will only send chat to
DXSpider nodes).

> I still see lots of DX-spider clusters not being upgraded to a version level that supports CHAT.
> And more irritating that the activity on CHAT is so low, even among those who know about it.

I have kept chat very low profile for now, but this release is a means
of bringing more people up to date. I should have done it some time ago.
I need to do it at least twice a year, I think.

Dirk G1TLH