[Dxspider-support] Spider Client login - Port 23 revisited

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 01:01:37 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 23:08, Kelly Jones wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> Well, normally I would agree with that, but I have moved the "standard"
> telnet port off of 23.
>
> Here are the entries in services:
>
> spider-23       23/tcp          # DXSpider Telnet Users
> spider-4222     4222/tcp        # DXSpider Node-Node
> spider-6904     6904/tcp        # DXSpider Old Port
>
> And here are the entries in inetd.conf:
>
> spider-23    stream   tcp   nowait   sysop  /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /spider/src/client login telnet
> spider-4222  stream   tcp   nowait   sysop  /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /spider/src/client login telnet
> spider-6904  stream   tcp   nowait   sysop  /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /spider/src/client login telnet

I strongly recommend that you don't use the client for your ports 4222
and 6904 (why those? [just interested]). Use the internal listener.

As it says in the instructions:

 $ cp /spider/perl/Listener.pm /spider/local

Then remove the # in front of the line containing 7300, change 7300 to
read 4222. Copy that line. Change that new line's port to 6904.

Disable the relevant services from xinetd and restart the node.

Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to
Exist or Will Exist Only in a Vague and Undetermined State.