[Dxspider-support] Users vs Performance?

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Sun Feb 9 10:30:31 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 04:59, Kelly Jones wrote:

> It seems that once I get ~40 users logged in the console hangs.  Also, upon
> login attempt, after entering your callsign, nothing happens.  The whole
> cluster part comes to a screeching halt.

Are you saying that console.pl hangs here, or the Linux console?

> I was able to verify this by logging in 60 "robots" and waiting for Spider
> to break.  Sure enough, I can duplicate this "hang" on demand.
>
> Is there a functional limitation on users/node connections?  It's not
> uncommon for there to be upwards of 75 users on my node.  If anyone needs a
> demonstration of the "hanging" symptoms, I'll be happy to oblige.

There is no limit to my knowledge, I know of nodes carrying 140+ users
with no problems.

> The system is a Celeron 500, 256 meg RAM, ATA100 drive, Slackware
> 7.1.  Also updated Spider to 1.51 b 57.191.

Sounds plenty to me.  What kernel version/perl version are you using?
Ian

 Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
 Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
 Running Linux and DXSpider

 Find out about Summits on the Air!
 Visit the SOTA web site at http://www.sota.org.uk