[Dxspider-support] Long comment fields - Request For Protoco lDetails

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Tue Feb 11 20:55:30 GMT 2003

I am not sure, but maybe the level of documentation you speak of is all I am
talking about. I just need to know what command responses are expected to
which commands, and what the some of the timing constraints are.
Specifically, I am trying to figure out a good way to auto populate my wwv
database, without being connected to another node. I have written a small
piece of code that ftp's the latest parameters off the noaa ftp site, but
now I need to get them into DXSpider. I was trying to connect over my local
node, using a callsign that I had designated as a node (my callsign followed
by a number 2 SSID, i.e. KE0MF-2). That seems to work for the connect, but
the PC23 message is not getting passed by the cluster as a valid spot, even
though it is a current spot. I am assuming there is some silly nuance in the
protocol handshake between my applet which is trying to simulate an AK1A
node, and the DXSpider software. Unfortunately, all the docs I can find on
any of this is the short section on the dxcluster.org website, that merely
gives the command syntax but no other details. There must be more info
somewhere, or no one could have figured out how to do any of this, but I
can't find it...

I seem to remember there were a lot of protections built into Spider to
prevent erroneous wwv posts, or posts from an un-trusted source - am I
running into those?

ML