[Dxspider-support] Proper Setup of Filtering

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 16:16:32 GMT 2003

Mike

Filtering is 'simple', once you get your head around it :-)

The reason it doesn't work is because you are filtering your output, not
input.

acc/spot wr3d input by_zone 4

then (optionally, but it will save wr3d sending you stuff you don't
want) do:

rcmd wr3d acc/spot by_zone 4

Because users want to filter what is the 'output' of the node to them,
the syntax is as it is. What you want to do is to filter the 'input' to
your node. Only sysops need to do this. Hence the way around it is.

However, I believe what you actually want to do, to allow maximum
flexibility for your users is:-

clear/spots wr3d all
clear/spots wr3d input

acc/spots user_default by_zone 4

This will mean that your node continues to receive a full feed and (most
of / by default) your users will receive just spots generated by zone 4
people. To get both sides (ie by zone 4 people or to zone 4 people) do:

acc/spots user_default by_zone 4 or call_zone 4

If, at some future time, or they are looking for evidence of a call in
sh/dx they then have a full feed full of information available.

Dirk