[Dxspider-support] Proper Setup of Filtering

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Fri Feb 14 15:53:55 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have finally gotten my Mandrake 9 hosted cluster running, and recently got
setup to connect to the WR3D node. After a few problems that I think were
self-induced, I have gotten my connect script working, and can now connect
to the WR3D node. My problem is, however, that I would like to limit the
spots that I receive (or at least the ones that get into my database) to a
more local region than the entire world. I am thinking of setting up with a
spot accept filter limiting spots on my cluster to just CQ zone 4. I have
made some attempts to set this up myself, but after connecting to WR3D I
always seem to be getting everything, so I guess I am asking for a bit of
help in how to get this setup. My long term goal is to remain as just an
'end-of-the-line' node connected to WR3D, and to be able to filter my DX
spot database so that any users (all of which will be connected ONLY over a
local 2m link), will only see regional spots for zone 4 if they do a 'sh/dx'
command. I may also like to experiment with restricting my VHF and above
data more aggressively than this, possibly on a call area or even state
basis, but I am not too concerned about those nuances yet. In reading the
online docs, it seems to be strongly implied that this functionality is
there, but I can't seem to make it work. I have tried the following
approaches, logged in as sysop callsign and entering the following:

accept/spots node_default by_zone 4 => This produces a node_deafult.pl
filter in the ../filter/spots directory, but has no filtering effect on
which spots from WR3D get into my list

accept/route wr3d call_zone 4 => this produces a wr3d.pl filter in the spots
subdirectory, but does not accomplish my goal either.

accept/spots wr3d by_zone 4 => updates the WR3D filter file wr3d.pl, but
still no joy.

My gut feeling is that I am totally misunderstanding how these filters are
intended to be used. Can anyone out there de-mystify this for me?

Thanks,

Mike
'Local' DXSpider node KE0MF-15