[Dxspider-support] Java Client (More on this)

Rene Olsen rene_olsen at post3.tele.dk
Fri Jan 3 08:24:15 GMT 2003

Hi Will.

> Well with the old client, I do not need any special Java install, it just
> works. The server is a Win2K PC running Apache Server 2.0.43, Java 1.4.1
> (installed the developer package to recompile) and the CVS from a few days ago
> (When ever they announced the new WEB package). I have four PCs that I have
> used for testing... The Win2K which is the server, another basic Win2K machine
> (all SPs), my XP PC with all SPs, and a Win98 PC.... All of them work with the
> old client, only the Win2k server with Sun Java installed works on the  new
> client!!

When you say "old" version what version are we then talking about. Is that the one from
the original 1.49 package, or are we even further back to the version in 1.48 or 1.47 ?

The changes I have made has nothing to do with if it works or not. The code I have
added is really nothing fancy.

It is no secret that Microsoft java is not the same as Sun java.

All I can say is that if you want to use the new client, then use Sun java. Else use the
old client.

I am running a WIN98SE myself without Sun java, and I have no problems at all
connecting and using the new client. Spider is running on a linux box with apache
1.3.20.

One of the changes, that caused some problems, is that the hostname used in
spider.cgi must be resolvable by the one trying to connect. If it is not resolvable all
looks OK, but when the user clicks on the connect button nothing happens. It just sits
there. You can press the connect button as many times as you like, but if the hostname
used in spider.cgi is not resolvable in the "real" world nothing will happen. This change
has not been made by me.

Vy 73 de Rene / OZ1LQH