[Dxspider-support] Old routing info. What to do ?

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Sat Jan 18 21:26:22 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 19:32, Colin Harris wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>             As a lowly know nothing it seems to me the only
> way this will be overcome is for the writers of all the
> cluster softwares to debate the problems. We ARE supposed to
> work together aren't we ? Or is it that commercially written
> cluster software has it's own set of rules and to hell with
> everyone else.
Hi Colin,
Let me first say that I agree with you!  However, despite offers it does
not happen.  Unfortunately, CLX is just about unsupported these days and
obviously AK1A is not supported at all.  ARC seems to have it's own
ideas although I know Dirk does email the authors occasionally.  DXNet
is the other option and Olivier does try to work on bugs etc, however he
is busy with other things.
I think we would all love a cluster network where all the software was
perfect but it ain't going to happen.  The PC protocol is outdated and
cannot handle the size of the modern network.  Add that to the fact that
the various software packages handle things in different ways, such as
CLX's passive and active links (which IMHO are the main problem) and we
have a mess.  Nobody has been willing to look at a new protocol and
everyone has been waiting for everyone else to implement it.  To be
fair, it has been recorded that people have been waiting for Dirk to do
it!
This year is going to be a milestone in the history of the cluster
network as we finally see a new protocol emerging like the proverbial
Phoenix.  I think then we will be able to wave goodbye to a lot of the
problems that have been dogging the cluster network recently.

I echo several peoples comments here when I say that ALL sysops have a
responsibility to the network to limit the cause of loops in the current
network.  I have started that process here and have cut 2 of my long ter
links to try and help alleviate the problem.

Regards
Ian

 Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
 Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
 Running Linux and DXSpider

 Find out about Summits on the Air!
 Visit the SOTA web site at http://www.sota.org.uk